Killed American sailors dog stays by his side

Photo via: The Daily Mail

AT THE FUNERAL of Petty Officer Jon Tumilson last week, his dog, Hawkeye, laid beside his casket during the service. Jon was one of 38 service members killed on August 6th when their helicopter was shot down by Taliban forces in Wardak Province, Afghanistan.

When the helicopter went down, I read the news with one hand over my mouth, and one hand holding my husbands, who is active duty Navy. I thought instantly of the wives and sisters and daughters and neighbors of those who had just experienced their (and my) worst nightmare.

Much has been said about the highly trained, mysterious SEAL Team Six, and how tough they are. This image is powerful because it reminds us that they are also young men whose dogs love them.

Rest in peace, Jon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Worlds Oldest Maps

Best Nude Beaches in the World, Volume 2

How meditation relates to happiness